Sunday, June 14, 2015

Everything Changes

It is often the case that tragic things happen all around you, but you never think that they will happen to you. However, sometimes you are wrong. Sometimes you are the person right in the middle of things. That's what it felt like when the doctor told me at 6.30pm on Thursday evening that I had Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). It is a cliche to say that a certain moment changes your life forever, but I know for certain that this moment did exactly that.

On Monday morning I had happily got up to begin my Summer internship and it was only when a cough started to bother me that I considered going to see the GP. So on Wednesday at 3pm I went for an emergency GP appointment expecting them to tell me that I had a small chest infection, give me a prescription for some antibiotics and send me on my way. But the GP seemed a little concerned - she was struggling to hear my breathing properly and thought my heart rate was too high. She was insistent that I should be referred to a hospital. At the time I thought that she was simply over reacting. I had told work I would be back by 3.30pm and couldn't be bothered with the extra hassle of a hospital check up. But now I know that I will be forever grateful to that GP, as she may well have saved my life.

At about 6pm that night I was told that I had pneumonia and would have to be kept on fluids for the nights to bring my heart rate down. I would be out of the hospital by morning, so I thought I would be back at work the next day. As a precaution the hospital took some of my blood for a routine check. At 10pm I received a visit from Dr. Cunningham telling me that I had to change wards - pneumonia wasn't the only issue, there was something wrong with my blood. The doctor explained to me that I had a 'low blood count', which means that you are low on every count of the blood, i.e. you do not have enough red blood cell, platelets or white blood cells. I was told that this could just be a side effect of the pneumonia or there could be a more serious underlying health issue, but I knew there was something wrong. I could tell it in his eyes, he was worried. I cried.

The next morning I had to give a bone marrow sample. The blood is made in the bone marrow, so this would clarify whether the problem in the blood was to do with the infection, or if there was a problem with the source of the blood. The bone marrow sample hurt like hell and at the time I hoped that I would never have to give another sample again. It only took about 5 hours for them to turn over the results, and that is when Dr. Al sat next to me at 6.30pm and broke the news. It was less than 24 hours between me arriving in hospital thinking I had a small chest infection to finding out. You can say what you want about the NHS, but that's speedy if you ask me.

I have to say that I was devastated, and the thought of the long battle that I will now have to go through terrifies me. No university next year, no normal life, just recovery. But I know that I will fight and I will recover.

Tomorrow I have to give another bone marrow sample (I will have to give many others!) and then I begin my treatment. I will try and keep everyone updated as much as I can throughout the course of this. All the love and support that you can give me will be much appreciated, and I know that together we will beat this.

Laura xo

1 comment:

  1. Sending much love and support for the battle that you face, your strength is amazing. love to all
    Angela xx

    ReplyDelete