Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Day 9

To begin with I just want to scream THANK YOU to you all from the rooftops. Since making my diagnosis public on Saturday I have been absolutely inundated with love and support from everyone, and it has just made me so happy. I know that this journey will be a long and hard one, but knowing that you are all there with me makes things that little bit easier. Honestly, you are all truly amazing people.

And not only have you been supporting me, but you have also been helping me campaign for more bone marrow donors in general. Already I know many more people who have signed up themselves, countless more that have shared my message, and there are even people out there offering to hold events to raise awareness. Your help makes all the difference to, not only me, but thousands of other people in the same position, and my heart is bursting with love for you all. I just ask you, if I can, to keep going - the more people that sign up as donors the better, and you are already making such a difference. So, thank you!

In terms of my own treatment, I had another lumber puncture yesterday, so I'm trying to be a little cautious today so I don't get any more migraines. So far so good though. My next session of chemotherapy is this afternoon, so I will be producing more pink pee this evening which I'm sure the nurses will enjoy.

Last night we also received confirmation of my new treatment plan. At the moment it will remain pretty much the same. I'm going to be in hospital for about another month, then will get a couple of months at home to be treated as an outpatient. As of September/October time, fingers crossed, we will have a donor arranged and I will be transferred to Glasgow for intense radio and chemotherapy followed by my transplant. After this will be more time as an outpatient, but the hope is that I might be home for Christmas. The thought of being home for Christmas genuinely makes me so happy, so that's what I will be praying for.

Anyway, I've left the most exciting news of yesterday till last ... The haircut! When I told Heather, my new hairdresser, that I wanted a pixie cut she looked at me like I had gone mad. She even left me for over an hour to think it through. Apparently most people prefer to take the 'slow but steady' approach to hair loss and simply get a couple of inches off each week until it starts to go naturally. But it seems that I am not most people. In my mind, my hair is gonna fall out anyway, and I've never been brave enough to get short hair before, so I might as well be brave enough now.

So, here was the last brush...


And the small creature that we found on the floor afterwards...


And the final result! Hope you like it.



11 comments:

  1. Bloody gorgeous! Best looking pixi I have seen in a very long time. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto - a very cheeky little number! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha - I thought your mum's reference to a pixie cut was to do with surgical cuts for bone marrow lol! But no, it's your hair and it looks fantastic! Well done you - keep going strong and love to all of you from all of us xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good, keep smiling, stay strong, blog is brilliant. Lots of love from your wee pals Aaron & Archie and Christine.
    Betty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did someone get the poor thing a bowl of milk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely stunning. You look fab , sending you lots of love from Paterson's East Coast Division. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You still look as beautiful as ever Laura, I believe in you, my brave girl, Lots of Love Helen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know you probably don't remember me (leanne, john and Tonys step sister) but i wanted to let you know that i think your attitude towards your diagnosis is awe inspiring and you are such a strong young woman. Kick cancers ass girl. Thinking of you and your family. Awesome crop too. Keep smiling beautiful. Love leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great Laura.Love you lots Aunty Jeanettexxxxxx.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great Laura.Love you lots Aunty Jeanettexxxxxx.

    ReplyDelete