Friday, June 26, 2015

Day 12

Today was all about my Hickman line. This is a procedure where I get a small tube that runs from a vein near my heart to make it easier for me to receive chemo. Basically with a Hickman line it means that they will stop jabbing my arms everyday to take blood and pump things into me, which is always a good thing.

However, as this was a small operation it meant that I couldn't eat leading up to it. Normally I wouldn't mind not eating, but I'm on steroids at the moment, so I constantly feel like I want to eat a small horse. This meant that not eating for 18 hours was quite a challenge! Seriously - why give me steroids and then tell me I can't eat? Torture.

Finally at 4pm I got taken down to the X Ray department and my Hickman line was fitted successfully. I now feel a little bit like someone has stuck a pole from my neck through my chest, but hopefully, with time, I will get used to it, and I know that it will make treatment so much easier.

You will also be happy to know that since my operation I have gone on to devour a large portion of gammon and potatoes, two sandwiches, and some other snacks - so don't worry about me, I'm not wasting away quite yet. Any food donations are appreciated.

In other fantastic news, Dr Al told us all yesterday that I have had a rapid early response to the treatment. This means that everything seems to be working at the moment, and that is just perfect! My blood count is improving with every day.


4 comments:

  1. Well done. I wish I could stop eating for 18 hours!!
    Who is this Hickman anyway .... a plumber?

    News Flash:
    Red Cross parcel stopped at the border. Sympathetic munchies resulted in contents disappearing :)
    Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura, you probably don't remember me but I'm following your blog closely and wishing you all the strength and humour to deal with this horrible thing. You are an inspiration ( and your hair looks fab too!). I registered to become a bone marrow donor yesterday - there's got to be one of us out here that's a match and we'll keep spreading the word until we find one - for you and all the others.

    Keep up the positivity (and the blog), we're all with you,

    Caroline (Darcey's mum from when your mum was a childminder) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline - of course I remember you and your lovely family! Thanks for all the love and support. Give your lovely girls a kiss from me and mum x

      Delete
    2. Hi Caroline - of course I remember you and your lovely family! Thanks for all the love and support. Give your lovely girls a kiss from me and mum x

      Delete