Thursday, July 16, 2015

Home Time!

On Tuesday I received the last bone marrow and lumber puncture of this part of my treatment. I was given plenty of sedation again (thank goodness), but it still wasn't very comfortable. At one point I had horrible pins and needles down my leg, which I have to admit was very sore. Unfortunately, I will have to receive a lumber puncture every Tuesday as the next part of my treatment, so I guess I will have to get used to them. I just need to remember how important they are - the lumber puncture ensures that no Leukemia cells reach my brain - so, it may be painful, but all in a good cause.

However, after the horrible treatment, I was given the fantastic news that I could go home! After the sedation had worn off they were going to sign my discharge letter, give me my medication and send me on my way to live my life as an outpatient!
...This was much too easy of course. Something had to go wrong. And of course it did. Mum and Sam packed everything into the car to go home, but then... my medication went missing. The pharmacist had only provided us with half my medication, so no home for me.


Luckily I only had to survive one more night. It took until 3pm yesterday, but finally they sorted out all my medication and set me free! I have now officially been discharged! The good news continued as I was also told that the bone marrow results were very good - so treatment seems to be working well as we move on to the next stage.


This means that I will be going into the second part of my treatment known as Phase 2 Induction. Even though I will be living at home the treatment will be fairly intense, with me travelling into hospital to receive chemotherapy every day, with the exception of weekends. This will be with new chemotherapy drugs that I haven't had before. Being in the day clinic will be a little strange too - I'm used to receiving chemo in my own room, so the idea of lots of other cancer patients getting chemo at the same time seems a little weird. I am feeling very nervous about it.

But despite my nerves, I feel extremely happy. I am so grateful and relieved that treatment has gone well so far, and I have every confidence that this will continue into the next stage, because I know that I can beat this. Plus, being at home is amazing. I now get to be constantly around the people that I love (and constantly have access to the fridge - the most important thing). So, really, I'm over the moon right now.


6 comments:

  1. Great to have you home. I might consider a fridge lock though, so that there is some food left for everyone else :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you get to sleep in your own bed - never to be underestimated :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw laura so happy to see ur smile keep up tje brave fight xx
    love all the morrison kids
    kathleen and wayne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to hear you are home again, keep fighting and smiling that beautiful smile. Love and bestest wishes Alan Cath Sara and Amy xxxxx

    ReplyDelete