Friday, July 10, 2015

Day 25

So, remember when I was pathetically moaning about my bum being sore? Turns out that this moaning was actually for a genuine reason.

On Tuesday afternoon I was taken for an MRI scan to check out if there were any major problems. MRI scans are really strange by the way. I thought that all you would have to do is roll into the machine and lay still - and, whilst this is true - no-one prepares you for the horrendous noise of the machine. I had ear plugs in and was listening to music, but it still sounded like gunfire from above and drilling from below. Terrifying machines!

Anyway, I received the results from the MRI yesterday and it turns out that I do actually have a hip problem. Basically, the steroids that I have been taking are restricting the blood supply into my hip, and that is what is causing my discomfort. As my steroids are such an important part of my treatment it's crucial that I keep on taking them for the time being, but I do need to be careful with movement. The general consensus is that I can wander around the ward a little, but not much further, so my parents and Sam will have to wheel me down to the cafe so I can get my munchies (Yes, I am still starving all the time).

In other news, the hair is gone. Completely! Over the past few days it has been falling out progressively, but I made the decision today to get the rest shaved off - so you can now all say hello to my beautiful, bald head.





In terms of wigs, I made the decision to go for one brave and one normal choice. So, I was a daredevil and chose the red wig from the fake wigs, and I'm also being fitted for a mid-length, brunette, real hair wig from the Princess Trust next week, something a lot closer to my original hair. Thanks for all the votes and suggestions! I hope you like my final choice.



8 comments:

  1. I'm with you , figuratively, on/in the scanner. I was an hour and a half as part of my diagnosis. No music so I reacted multiplication tables and song lyrics in my head.
    I LOVE the red wig - great choice.
    Aidie was so impressed with you after his visit earlier this week. Keep it up, brave girl. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was, of course, recited, not reacted. Dah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What sort of music was it ? I bet it would have been torture if it was rap.

    Red is definitely the way to go .... no one argues with a red head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MRI Machines are pretty damn scary! You are lucky you had music though, I had a woman yelling not to worry about the smell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Red wig fab and Nathaniel and I both thought you should have two!! but you have a beautiful skull too Laura! Congratulations on the Huffington Post news, really impressive!! Love Helen xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the red is amazing Laura! Wow - and you look like Annie Lennox with the shaved head - pretty good too! I wouldn't have chosen the red for you, but now that I see it on it's lovely. Loving the breeks!! Lots of love from Tullochs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the red wig Laura, but I have to agree with earlier conclusions - you do have a great shaped head 😊 On the subject of wheels - make sure you have L plates for newby drivers 😉 Jem once accused me of being Sterling Moss (he wasn't smiling at the time!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Derrrr hadn't realised emojis wouldn't work! :-/

    ReplyDelete