Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Phase 3

On 3rd September I went back into hospital to begin Phase 3, but it took until the afternoon of the next day until I actually received any chemotherapy. The doctors seemed very unsure to begin with. My liver was still playing up a bit, but by Friday morning it finally decided to play ball and fix itself. Then it was agreed that I could receive the chemo at 75% strength.

Whenever you receive chemotherapy it always seems a bit bizarre. You see a big red bag arrive which has "TOXIC" written on the side of it. Sometimes you just have to smile. This was especially the case here as they arrived with a huge bag filled with luminous yellow liquid ready to be attached to me. They also had to give me fluids simultaneously, which meant that I was left running to the loo every ten minutes, dragging a very heavy Larry (the pump stand) with me.

Once I had finished receiving the methotrexate (chemo), I had to receive an acid antidote and fluids, until the methotrexate had been flushed out of my system - and then I could go home! Unfortunately I couldn't be disconnected from Larry at any point, which made showering an interesting experience and made it quite difficult to sleep, as fluid bags were constantly being changed. However, my kidneys luckily did their job and I was happily discharged on the Monday.

On Tuesday evening I was well enough to attend 'Look Good Feel Good' at the Maggie's Centre. I have mentioned this in my blog before as I've been wanting to attend for ages. The evening, basically, is an opportunity for women facing cancer to get professional make up advice. We went through the full process of a make up routine, and we got a free goody bag at the end with all the products that we used. It really was a great experience and I felt very pleased with the results. Since my diagnosis I've not really felt any point in getting dressed up, but this made me feel great - it made me realise that my cancer doesn't have to stop me feeling beautiful once in a while.

Since then I've been out and about a little, visiting Stonehaven beach for some fish and chips and enjoying the sun in the park whilst having a picnic. So, I'm really happy to be home at the moment. I will be back in hospital on Thursday to receive the second and last dose of my chemotherapy in Phase 3. I'm not much looking forward to the constant dashing to the loo, but hopefully my kidneys will do their job once again and I will be out of hospital as quick as a flash.





3 comments:

  1. So good to hear how it is going Laura, will try and skype you soon, but hoping last chemo goes okay. Love and Hugs xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope today went okay Laura - and that you've now got a bit of a break from hospital?
    Lots of love from all here - still rooting for you! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the next dose, Laura. Thinking of you, great to see your photos and meet handsome boyfriend? Love and special hugs, Shelagh P xxx

    ReplyDelete