Saturday, November 7, 2015

Complications...

So, after the delay last week, today was supposed to be the big move up to Glasgow. However, I am still in Aberdeen! It's been a complicated week...

I got a phone call last Friday lunchtime from one of the doctors from Aberdeen explaining that on Thursday, whilst I was in Glasgow, they had taken cultures of my blood and they had found that a bacteria had grown. This meant that I needed to go to the day clinic that day so that Aberdeen could repeat the cultures. So, I headed straight to the day clinic to get everything sorted.

Late on Saturday evening I then received another phone call from a different doctor. He mentioned the culture again and seemed to suggest that what may be causing this bacteria was the lump at the top of my right thigh. He wanted me to go into hospital early the next day to get it checked out - which I was more than happy to do. Unfortunately when I arrived at the hospital the doctors had decided that it was important that they try to treat this bacteria meaning that I had to be admitted to be put on IV antibiotics twice a day. I knew that it was important to get rid of the bacteria, but being admitted to hospital is always a bit of a blow - spending 11 weeks there during the summer was quite enough for me! I'm pretty sure I know the hospital menu backwards by this point.

Anyway, back to hospital it was! I was put in a different ward this time, as Hematology was full, so at least I got a bit of change of scenery and got to meet some new nurses. The doctors didn't seem to be sure of the source of infection; it could either be the lump, a urine infection, or could be coming from my hickman line. After tests, we discovered it wasn't a urine infection, and the doctors didn't seem to think the lump could have been the cause - meaning that it seemed to be the hickman line. The best course of action seemed to be to just pump me full of antibiotics and hopefully kill the bacteria.

Despite these problems, on Thursday morning it still seemed that I would be going to Glasgow and finishing the course of antibiotics there. However, we found out late afternoon that Glasgow were still having problems organising the donor and my radiotherapy, meaning I would not be admitted until next Thursday - another blow.

On the plus side, they also decided to discharge me! After looking into the bacteria further they discovered that another antibiotic could be used to kill it, and this only had to be administered once a day. This meant that I could simply come into hospital each morning and receive treatment as an outpatient - amazing news, as I could finally return to the comfort of my own beautiful bed.

However, there were yet more twists and turns, as I went in to receive my antibiotic on Thursday morning and was told by my doctor that, as they seemed to think that my hickman line was the cause of the infection, they wanted to replace it. This means two minor operations - one to remove the old hickman line, and another to replace it about a day later. As it takes some time to organise these procedures it means that Glasgow is once again up in the air. Everyone is hoping that I can get there next Thursday, but it is definitely not 100% yet.

Anyway, despite all this, I am simply enjoying being out of hospital again. Sam and I have not been able to go to a bonfire event for the past two years as I have always had work commitments, and I was gutted that I was going to miss it for the third year running. So Glasgow being delayed definitely had a sparkling silver lining as Sam and I were able to watch the fireworks in a quiet place along the beach front. Happy days.

Laura xo

1 comment: